Friday, March 9, 2012

Powerful Female Characters?

Happy day after International Women's Day! A little while ago Flavorwire published a list entitled 10 of the Most Powerful Female Characters in Literature. As a feminist and an avid reader, I felt this list was worth exploring. I found some of their choices surprising, some delightful, and all of them thought provoking.

The author made sure to note that this selection is in no way a comprehensive list, and I would certainly agree. While I have a strong affection for some of the characters (heck yes, Lyra Belacqua!), others I have mixed feelings about (Hermione and Katniss, for example), and still others I find surprising (Jane Eyre?). Of course, many of my favorites, including those who really shaped my idea of strong female characters, were not included (shout-outs have to go to Alanna from Tamora Pierce's Song of the Lioness Quartet, Cimorene from Patricia C. Wrede's Enchanted Forest Chronicles, and virtually all of Gail Carson Levine's characters).

This article brought up some interesting questions for me. What is the definition of a powerful female character? Is it related to her complexity, her ability to stand in the face of oppression, or her popularity with readers? (Side note: did anyone else notice that all but The Canterbury Tales have had film adaptations?).

So, what do you think? Which characters should (or should not) have made the list? Which do you wish had been included? I'd love to get a discussion going in the comments.

3 comments:

  1. Since you posed questions, and I am procrastinating... Did you ever read The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo books? Because I think that Lisbeth is the most problematic inclusion on the list. I know it's very much in vogue to love her edgy character. But I feel like although she's tough, clever, and can take a guy twice her size, she's not a profeminist character. So I guess I'd love to get into what makes a powerful female character. How do you define female power? And do you look to characters who are role models for girls and women or characters who assert their agency other - possibly negative - ways?
    Also, did you read this article at Overthinkingit? http://www.overthinkingit.com/2008/08/18/why-strong-female-characters-are-bad-for-women/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there! I only just figured out how to subscribe, technological goofball that I am. Have you read the Bloody Jack series? Or indeed any of the books by Celia Rees? I think they also have strong female protagonists, but what I love about Jacky is that not only is she brave and intelligent, but she's incredibly vulnerable throughout the series. That to me is what makes a great female character - being emotionally well-rounded. Not to say that some of the others we've mentioned aren't, but...just thought I'd throw that out there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nancy Drew had a whole series about her adventures of solving crime.

    ReplyDelete